Monday, October 19, 2009

Deep Tingly in the Mouth Love

So you read the headline. But no worries, it's not what you think. The wonderful, always-on-my-mind love that I speak of is in regards to sandwiches! After years of searching for my favorite food I have come to realize that the closest I will ever come to choosing a favorite is to allot one category to my love of cuisine. That category is the sandwich.

I know what you're thinking. Kat, you ARE SOOO RIGHT! Believe me, I know I am. You see, the sandwich can fit every type of hunger and craving there is. You got your bread choice: pita, french, foccacia, rye, wheat berry, naan, etc. The bread choice is very crucial, choose the wrong one and the sandwich just may be ruined. Then you get to fill it with any mix of greens, veggies, fruits, meats, cheeses, and condiments that you want to. You can have it cold or hot or grilled. It's just the perfect meal every day.

I have had two incredible, life changing sanwiches in the last two weeks.

The first was on our bi-weekly Americorps we-got-paid-let's-go-out lunch from a Mexican Cafe known as Bom Bon. The meal: the Carabena Torta. This scrumptious lunch consisted of thinly shaved pork, avacado, grilled pineapple, gouda cheese, tomato, and mixed greens all on a buttery bun. It was heaven folks, pure heaven. The flavors were clean but strong and the grilled pineapple added a rich punch to an already yummy sandwich. I can not wait to go back and try another one.

The second sandwich is a Vietnamese wonder known as the Banh Mi. It typically has a meat, liver pate, pickled veggies, cilantro, and jalapenos on freshly baked french bread. If you read my friend Brittany's food blog, He Cooks She Cooks, then you may have read about her rendition of this sandwich. We tried it out in a picnic style lunch with most of the standard ingredients including a braunshwagger, which was used to imitate the pate. It's spicy, sweet, and so fresh. The sensation of my mouth literally burning off of my face was completely ignorable compared to the lovely flavor. The mom n' pop store that it is from was small and super cheap, which made me even happier. Plus the woman behind the counter was so helpful in my choice making. In the end I went with the classic version, sweet pork (a.k.a. HEAVEN).

The main point of this post is just to say,

"Having a bad day? Eat a sandwich!"
or
"Having a good day? Eat a sandwich"
or
"Not sure what to eat? Eat a sandwhich!"


Guys, seriously. Just go get a sandwich already an quit reading!

1 comment:

  1. Every culture has it's own variations on the sandwich...conveniently, they are all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete