Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two Great Lakes?

We have been really fortunate to have an extremely pleasant summer weather wise this year. I'm talking ridiculously mild. Beautiful scenery, cool breezes, and best of all a complete lack of humidity. My hair has really loved it.

Anyways, the point of all of this wonderful weather talk is that it makes for very enjoyable hiking and exploration weather. Lots of walking has been happening here, and I have been privileged to have friends who also love to walk and take in the scenery. I have been to random rope swings, parks, the big tree, developing neighborhoods, and even down the pedestrian paths to Walmart. The other day, Brittany and I were in want of a new path and so I decided to take her to a path by a dog park I had been to a few times.

While driving there I was ranting about something or another and passed the spot that I had intended to turn onto. I kept driving and came upon an exit for the MKT trail that I had never noticed on my many drives down Forum. What the heck, I thought, and turned in and parked. We began our journey down the wide and very accessible MKT trail. Various people passed by us, a woman walking her dog and a few hippy looking bikers. I am in the bad habbit of listening to everyone, so you can imagine my intrigue when I overheard the very rough hippy-esque woman on a bike tell her friend the third member of their party had stopped at the lake.


"A lake would be amazing right now," was
the exact thought that crossed my mind at that moment. Luckily the same thought crossed Brittany's mind and we decided to find this lake.

We did not have to walk far at all to find the trail that branched off toward a lovely field with much greenery. The gravel path wound around the field which then turned into a beautiful lake and wildlife area. I was absolutely astonished. Seriously? Seriously. How had I never known this existed?

________

There were wildflowers and tall grasses; old trees and benches with dedication engraved onto them lined the pathway circling the lake.

Strolling around the lake was not only and enjoyable setting for scenery but also for conversation. Twin Lakes is so engaging, I went back the next week with Marissa and caught the lake at sunset. If you are in Columbia, this should be a must see for you. If not, go find a spot like this near you. They pop up in the most surprising places!

1 comment:

  1. Happy you found inspiration here.

    p.s. the photos look great!

    ReplyDelete